[Discover 50 Self Care Practices for Moms that will help you to nourish your soul, fill your cup, and help you find happiness & joy in motherhood and life.]
Why Every Mom Needs to Practice Self Care
She looked up at me with wide eyes and a mixture of shock and betrayal on her face. I had just snapped at my sweet little girl.
I felt so ashamed.
She was just being playful and free-spirited like the beautiful soul she is. But I couldn’t handle it.
My inner space was in turmoil. There was no room within me left for anything much less her silliness and curiosity.
I didn’t want to get upset with her. I never want to get upset with any of my kids, but there I was feeling frustrated and surprised by my own unkindness.
[Please Note: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that Simply Joyful Journey, LLC may receive a small commission if you click through and make a purchase, at no additional cost to you. Please see disclaimers for more information.]
Normal isn’t always healthy.
It took me a long time to figure how why I was getting upset even when I was committed to staying calm with my kids.
It turned out that I was following the socially acceptable idea that we can and should put everything and everyone before ourselves. That even contemplating caring for our own needs would be unthinkably selfish.
This way of living wasn’t sustainable for me. I couldn’t be the mom I longed to be with my girls, and that made my heart ache.
I thought putting my kids needs and desires before my own was what it meant to be a “good” mom.
So, I decided to try something different. I started to take care of myself first.
The shift was barely noticeable at first. But I began to feel a sense of worthiness and hope.
It was enough for me to keep going with my little self care experiment.
Over time I started to notice myself smiling more and being more silly and playful with my kids.
Now I know with my whole heart that taking care of myself is exactly what makes you a good mom.
It is the secret sauce to staying calm with your little ones.
It also sets a beautiful example for them the importance of self care in their lives.
What an amazing gift to give our children!
Soul Nourishing Self Care Practices for Moms
So, Beautiful Mama, I have put together some soul nourishing self care practices for you.
Find ones that speak to your soul and take time to care for and love yourself today, and everyday.
Your children will thank you!
- Take a Bubble Bath
- Go for a Walk
- Have Lunch with a Girlfriend
- Practice Yoga
- Light a Candle
- Dress Up – Accessorize – Wear Something That Makes You Feel Beautiful
- Dress Down – Get Comfortable – Wear Something that Makes You Feel Cozy
- Put on Some Relaxing Music
- Put on Some Uplifting Music, and Dance
- Smile – Allow Your Smile to Light Up Your Whole Face
- Laugh – Find Something That Makes You “Belly Laugh”
- Go on a Date Night with Your Spouse
- Take a Nap
- Find at least 3 Things to Be Grateful For
- Make Yourself a Cup or Tea or Other Favorite Beverage
- Practice Presence – Tap Into Your Senses to Bring Yourself Back to the Present Moment – Notice Sights, Sounds, Smells, Etc.
- Take Some Deep Breaths – Sometimes as Busy Moms This is One of Our Most Powerful Tools
- Exercise – Move in Ways That Feel Good to You
- Tune Into Your Feelings and Emotions
- Pause and Check to See What You Need in This Moment
- Go to Bed Early
- Draw or Color
- Ask for Help – It takes a Village – You Don’t Have to Do it All on Your Own
- Watch the Sunrise or Sunset
- Take a Painting or other Creative Class for Fun
- Diffuse Some Calming or Uplifting Essential Oils
- Learn to Play an Instrument
- Choose an Inspirational Mantra to Repeat to Yourself During the Day
- Look into Your Own Eyes, Using A Mirror, and say, “I Love You”
- Find a Creative Outlet That Fills Your Soul
- Spend time in the Great Outdoors & Enjoy the Beauty of Nature
- Create a Sacred Self Care Space – A Special Space in Your HomeJust for Your Self Care
- Get a Massage
- Walk Barefoot in the Grass and Feel the Warm Sunshine on Your Face
- Call a Girlfriend
- Put a Beautiful Digital Wallpaper on Your Phone to InspireYou During the Day
- Wear a Mandala or other Touchstone to Help Bring You Back to Presence Anytime
- Set an Intention for Your Day
- Bring a Bit of Nature Indoors with a Succulent, Fern, or Other House Plant.
- Snuggle With Your Kids
- Read a Book for Fun
- Hydrate – Drink water with a slice of cucumber, strawberry, or some lemon for a fun twist
- Eat Whole Foods that You Love
- Connect With Your Spouse in the Middle of the Day
- Eat with Mindfulness – Sit Down to Eat and Enjoy Your Food
- Sing in the Shower
- Spend Time Loving On Your Pets
- Learn Something New – Finding a New Challenge Can FeelInvigorating
- BONUS: Give Yourself a Hug – That’s Right – Go Ahead and Wrap YourArms Around Yourself and Give Yourself Some Love!
Get motherhood and soul care inspiration delivered directly to your inbox! Plus get instant access to a printable with 50 Soul Nourishing Self Care Practices just for you!
Meditation as a Self Care Practice
If meditation is one of the soul nourishing practices that resonated with you from the list above. Here is a library of free guided meditations for you to enjoy!
Be the Mom You Long to Be
The benefits I have noticed from listening to my heart as well as acknowledging and tending to my needs have made an immense difference in the way that I show up as a mom.
Show up for yourself daily and tap into your heart space so you can hear and tend to your needs. When you do this, you will be able to be the mom you have always longed to be.
Get Your Free Printable List of Self Care Practices
You can also print out this list of soul nourishing self care ideas to reference anytime you need some inspiration.
Pin this Soul Care Goodness for Later!